Monday, December 1, 2008

"An un-welcome excuse for a Birthday present"


Do you remember your first set of pots and pans? The little ones that made an incredible addition to your little tikes kitchen. They were the best pots and pans, ever! Then came the easy bake oven that you could hardly wait for you birthday to recieve. These things brought hours of enjoyment for me.
As I grew older I still had a love of cooking and pots and pans. I bought my first real pots and pans at 17. They were so much fun to purchase. I researched and looked and looked and researched, and that was almost as much fun as the day I brought home my new, non stick, expensive (because hey, I was single), hand wash only (gee, that was dumb) pots and pans; to add to my hope chest.
That was a very long time ago and since then I have really enjoyed that set of pots and pans. Over time they became a little less non stick, but I suppose that could be attributed to the fact that over time I got a little more in a rush and a little less likely to hand wash (I know, you could have called that one) and the best utensil to use was the one closest that filled the job (not always the wood or plastic). That was how it went until Thursday making pies.
Lemon pie filling is yellow, and it was yellow right down until the very end when it started changing colors. It first just started to look dark and then it looked green (appetizing I know). I couldn't figure out what was going on. I decided to start all over because who would eat a green pie. I washed the pan and then dried it with a paper towel when I noticed the paper towel was grey. I tried again and again the paper towel turned grey (gross!) MY NONSTICK COATING WAS COMING OFF RIGHT BEFORE MY EYES! (Don't worry, all those who ate the lemon pie, I made it in a different kind of pan)
So Saturday (my birthday) we were off to the stores, trying to take advantage of the after Thanksgiving day sales, if possible. And as much as I wanted to I couldn't get excited about getting new pans (they had to be replaced!). Derek was having more fun that I. He really got into the online research and looking at different stores to compare prices. It just wasn't working for me. I knew that I would have to use these pots and pans and they would have to be washed practically everyday. And since it was something I absolutely had to have, and there seemed a sense of urgency (I only have one other pot). I couldn't dream about the pots I couldn't afford or the ones that really were useless but looked so cute just sitting there.
We finally got new pots and pans after many of hours at the store looking and touching and comparing. We decided on the Kirkland pots and pans without any nonstick coating. Eventhough I know that they have improved nonstick coatings in the last ten years I have a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth about it now. I will probably have on or two non stick pans in the future but I know that these pans will last for a really long time and have no problems.
Thank you Derek for putting up with me at all of those stores. I Love You!

3 comments:

Katrina said...

but you still got new pots and pans! Ü there's got to be some fun in that, right? either way, I love them (I have the same ones). Just don't use them for eggs or hashbrowns Ü Nightmare! lol

Alicia said...

I have heard those Kirkland pots are great. I don't much love nonstick for the very reason why you got new pans. But it is always good to have one around for certain things. Congrats on the pans!! And Happy Birthday!

amberkei said...

Well, I'm sorry to hear that you had to get a practical gift of something that you weren't hoping was on your list! That's a bummer...but hope you feel better about your new pots soon! I want new pots! Well, good thing Christmas is so close - maybe something better will be given to you for that!